The Under 11 Celts team enjoyed a productive and successful tournament season. It all began with a midweek tournament in April at Westbury where the boys were eliminated at the semi-final stage.
Next up was the Cholsey tourney where again they were again eliminated at the semi-final on a golden goal rule.
The following week at the Easington Sports tournament they reached the final, only to lose on a penalty shoot out.
To be successful in tournaments you need two things- firstly you need to develop a tournament mentality- conserve energy on and off the pitch as a tournament can last 4 or 5 hours when you reach the latter stages. And also knowing where and when to keep possession and kill the game. Scoring the first goal is so important in games of 8 or 10 minutes as is squad rotation.

The second thing you need is some luck or good fortune as at some point in these limited time games you will need something to fall your way.
By mid-June things were finally falling into place- we entered 2 teams into the Carterton tournament and both made the semi-finals, with one making the final and winning it.
The following week at Bishops Cleeve- this time both teams reached the Trophy final making the first ever all Fairford final at a tournament.
Next up was Yate Town- with a large number of teams from Bristol, and the boys were victorious winning in style and conceding just one goal all tournament and impressing the locals.
The following week was a 9 v 9 tournament at Eldon Celtic in Reading. This is one of the strongest competitions in Southern England. A late player call off and then an injury in the first game resulted in the team playing with no sub. This is on a big pitch and some excellent teams- academy player and JPL teams. Winning the group of 6, we went into the quarter finals and managed to win on a golden goal and then met what we were told was the best team in Birmingham. They were a very good team- a top JPL standard team. The boys rose to the challenge and deservedly went through to the final.
By now the boys had played 7 games with no chance of a rest and so far had only conceded the one goal. It was a weary team that faced probably the strongest team we had met during the summer and went down 3-0. Our boys still managed to hit the woodwork twice, but in the end it was a game too far as tiredness kicked in.
Bitton near Bristol was the final tourney of the season. Eight games, NO goals conceded so this has to go down as the best tournament performance of the summer as the boys carried off another trophy for the club trophy cabinet.
The strength in depth of the squad played a large part in this success. They have spread the name of Fairford in the surrounding countries and beyond, All the boys have conducted themselves in an impeccable manner and received plenty of plaudits from other coaches and parents on the way they play and their behaviour and attitude. As a coach this is more pleasing than the numerous trophies they have won this season.